Saturday, February 7, 2015

Why a Menstrual Cup?

Menstrual Cups...


courtesy of aselfsufficientlife.com
Courtesy of  aselfsufficientlife.com

Maybe you've heard about them? Or maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about?

Today you are going to learn about the benefits of choosing a menstrual cup, basic instructions, and just how easy they are to use. 

I am sharing this information with you today because since I have ditched all tampons and other feminine care products, my life has changed... for the better! I have no plans or thoughts of going back. EVER!

Menstrual cups really are too good to be kept a secret. You my friend deserve to learn more about them!


Menstrual cups come in all different sizes, colors, brands, and even materials. Some of the most popular brands include The DivaCup, Lunette, and Mooncup. I personally went with a less popular brand, The Rainbow Cup, which is now call the Monzcare R-Cup. It ranges from $14.99-18.99 on Amazon, depending on color.

How do you put one in?

Are you still using pads and tampons? Time to learn how to use a Menstrual Cup instead! You'll never go back! More info and directions at Prepared-Housewives.com #divacup #period #menstrualcycle
Photo Credit: Prepared Housewives. Check out her post here.
There are actually two or more ways to insert your cup. Check out the figure below.
Try both and see what works best for you. You may find one being easier than the other.

Reasons You Should Switch:

1. With the proper care, your menstrual cup can last up to 10 years. With all the fun colors, I still find it tempting to buy more than one. After 1 year my cup still looks and functions the same as it did after my first use. 

2. Save Money, menstrual cups are green and reusable. Invest in one cup, an average of $20-30 and your set. No tampons or pads to buy every month.


3. Change your cup less often throughout the day. Am I the only one who has ever worried about the 8 hour maximum? TSS becomes more of a concern after 8 hours, back when I was a teenager and sleeping 10+ hours, that was a problem. Now being a mom, my problems are finding the time to take a bathroom break. Menstrual cups can go up to 12 hours between being emptied. 

4. Literally no risk of TSS. Toxic Shock Syndrome is rare but can also be fatal. You are at increased risk when you use a higher absorbency then what is needed or by using a tampon for too long. Tiny pieces of cotton can cause tiny tears on your vaginal walls. These cuts become the perfect place for breeding bacteria. There was a time when I was young that I suffered many of the symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome. I passed out on the toilet, luckily my mom was nearby. TSS was possible, but nothing further was investigated. That awful dizzy, sick feeling pulls me back to that moment and I think... Nah I'll pass on tampons. 

5. Menstrual Cups hold more, again you can change them less. Also a plus for those with heavy flows. Tampons hold about 6 to 9 grams of liquid. Menstrual cups can hold about 5 times that amount. Up to 28 grams. I've seen this on YouTube videos as demonstrations. Over the past year I have almost forgot that my cycle begins with a heavy flow. I need to change my cup about every 4 hours at first. This is a lot of liquid that would require a high absorbency and frequent changing.

6. Cups come in different styles, colors and materials. I chose medical grade silicone in my favorite color, pink. Like I mentioned in #1, I'm also tempted to buy teal and purple. Who said your monthly flow has to be boring?


7. Avoid the chemicals, almost all tampons contain bleached rayon, yes you can buy organic, unbleached, but not many do. This bleached rayon creates a likely carcinogenic by product, dioxin. Your shoving bleach up there, this is not good. Pads and pantyliners also contain bleach and fragrances but are slightly less invasive. For a good alternative, check out my post on Cute and Comfy Reusables. 


8. Decrease your chance of leaks. Can leaks still happen yes. When inserted correctly menstrual cups should suction around your cervix, all liquid is then caught inside your cup.

9. Tampons absorb, they absorb your menstrual fluid but they also absorb your natural fluids, leaving you dry and more susceptible to disease.

10. Pads can cause rashes, like diaper rash. I do not have personal experience as I was mostly a tampon user. 

11. Less to carry around, I cannot count the number of times I've had a women ask me if I had "something." I've been there, you have to fill your purse or diaper bag up with supplies because you need to be prepared. I put my cup in and I have it with me until I no longer need it. Nothing to carry!


12. More space under your sink. My menstrual cup came with a cute fabric bag. After I have washed and fully dried my cup, I store it in its little bag until I need it again. No boxes required. 

13. No need to figure out what absorbency you need. Your cup will hold it all. Heavier flows require you to empty it more often. Lighter flows - just remember to change it every 12 hours! Easy Peasy.

14. Sleep longer, if your life allows. No need to worry about the 8 hour maximum. 

15. Most come in two different sizes, one before childbirth, and one size for after childbirth.

16. No string. Nothing to hold out of the way, or get peed on when you really have to go. Nothing to keep hidden while spending the day at the pool or beach. Menstrual cups are removed by pulling on their stem, which is hidden inside. Most women find them more comfortable after trimming it to their liking.

17. Learn more about your body. I had a hard time inserting my cup at first. After several cycles I discovered that my cervix moves after my first day to a more accessible location. It wasn't until I tried to "find it" that I learned day 1 my cervix is lower and more anterior. After it moves back and I can slip my cup in without any effort. Every Single Cycle.

18. They make your cycle more enjoyable. No seriously. I figure the less time I spend in the bathroom seeing and thinking about my cycle the better right?

19. Menstrual cups are comfortable, just like tampons, once you get the hang of them you won't even know it is there.

20. They are not as hard or scary as you might think. Learning something new can be frustrating and scary. You'll get the hang of it.

So whatever your reason for making the switch... your reason is your reason.

Menstrual cups are better for the environment, healthier for your body, less toxic, simple, and easy to use.

Give them a try!

Additional Resources:
The DivaCup
The R-Cup (formerly call the rainbow cup) - Cost effective, less popular brand, I am in love with it!
Lunette Cup
The Keeper - Natural Rubber
The Moon Cup

Toxic Tampons




No comments: