Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Baby is Born...

Baby Landen's Birth Story
February 25th-26th 2012
    
I was excited to see a reminder from one of my books... Right above my bed were the words "your baby and your body working together" It reminded me of what I had been planning on, what I should be focusing on. Instead of feeling pain, I reminded myself that labor is completely natural. It is a process that me and my baby boy were doing together. With each contraction, I moved him down a little more, he moved into the position he needed to be in, and I was able to birth my baby on my own.

Thursday, February 23, 2012
After almost non stop contractions Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we decided to go in. We packed up the car and made the trip my doctor's office. We waited all afternoon to have someone check my cervix, only to find out that my doctor was in her Layton office for the day. The nurse could tell by my face that I was exhausted from weeks of contractions. I asked to be hooked up to the monitor to do an NST. As I was being hooked up, the nurse felt my contraction. She finally believed me! Yes I was having contractions and she could vouch for me. I had a couple contractions during the test, they were about 10 minutes apart. After the test I was put in a room to have a doctor check me.The nurse came in shortly and told me to get dressed. I was going to be sent to Labor and Delivery instead. Our baby was having heart accelerations for longer than he was suppose to. Apparently after the Doctor had seen the NST and the nurse told her I was contracting, she thought it would be best. The nurse was nice to walk me down to Labor and Delivery. Kevin and Kaylee went outside to wait for my parents to arrive. I got put in Triage, changed into a gown, did the normal routine. When I was checked I was 4cm, up from a 3 at my previous appointment a week earlier. While being on the monitor I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. The order came in from my doctor that I had to stay for an hour and see if I progressed. Kevin came and we waited the hour. Still having regular contractions, the hour passed and I was the same. The triage nurse was sure I was in early labor. She told us to go home and walk and that she was sure I would be back in 6-12 hours. Kevin and I went to my parents to tell Kaylee goodnight. We hung out, played Tetris, and I walked on their treadmill. We went home, and Kevin called in sick for work the next day. We decided to go to sleep, both expecting to wake up, go back to the hospital, and have a baby. Nothing happened, half way through the night I got up and bounced on my yoga ball. My contractions were back to 10 minutes apart so I went back to sleep.

Friday, February 24, 2012
I was pretty bummed nothing had happened. I did not like waking up at home, still pregnant. Kevin got the Wii out, after some tears (mine not his) and pleading he got me to play with him. We played some sports and then we ran on the track and did some squats. We went to my doctor appointment to find out my doctor was gone doing a delivery. That made me feel even better! I was suppose to be the one having a baby and throwing off the rest of the day's schedule. I did not want to reschedule so we saw the nurse practitioner. She checked me and said I was definitely 3 cm, no longer a good 4 like the nurse from Labor and Delivery had said. She knew I was frustrated, but she told me that when I wasn't having those contractions my cervix could constrict back. Definitely not the news I wanted to hear. She also told me to plan on being pregnant for another week and that I could talk about an induction with the doctor at my next appointment. Now really depressed, we went home and took a nap, rested and later picked up Kaylee. My mom and Kevin had called in sick for the day and we had accomplished absolutely nothing.

Saturday, February 25, 2012
I woke up having contractions, as usual. Kevin was gone playing church ball. I decided to make strawberry crepes with Kaylee. Around 9, I noticed my contractions were reliably coming every 5 minutes. I was not about getting my hopes up so we ate breakfast and went about our morning. With every contraction I looked at the clock. I washed the dishes, we cleaned up the house, we had plans to run a few errands. Kevin suggested we pack up the car, I fought him because I didn’t want to jinx it. Contractions continued past noon.

By 12:30pm I was timing them with my phone app and they quickly became closer together. That sent me into a panic so we packed the car yet again. We stopped and got gas, and went to the credit union. I wanted to see if the contractions would change after getting off my feet. Contractions were now 2 ½ minutes apart and a minute long. I called my sister to meet us at the hospital so she could watch Kaylee. When we got to the hospital we went inside and walked around as we waited for her to arrive. Contractions were steadily coming every 2 minutes and lasting well over a minute. We hung out with Stephanie for a while, until we were confident that the contractions were going strong and not going to fizzle out.
 
 
It was about 3:00pm by the time we went into Labor and Delivery. We had walked around for almost two hours. Stephanie waited outside with Kaylee as we were prepared to be sent home yet again. I got my gown, and Kevin and I waited in the empty Triage room for the nurse to come. We felt neglected as we were left alone, not knowing what was going on. We were very excited to find out that my doctor was on call. Finally I got hooked up to the monitor, but got the bad news that I was only dilated to a 3+. She said I was not quite a 4 but since I would need to be monitored for an hour she said it would look better to start out as a 3. I was asked if I wanted to walk for the hour and it was okayed by my doctor. We asked the nurse if there was anything we could do to stay. She told us that I wouldn’t be able to have my water broken or get pitocin until I was 39 weeks. We let Stephanie know and since she wanted to wait it out with us we told her to take Kaylee to the café to get some food. Kevin and I made several rounds around the Labor and Delivery area. A nurse at one of the stations told me I would have to move about 15 times faster, Kevin made it a game to make the entire loop in a minute. I noticed contractions here and there and it did make it a bit more painful to be moving fast. Triage began to fill up and they were offering them the same option to walk. One girl declined and later on was sent home. Another only made one loop and was back in bed. We were determined to stay and do whatever we could. We had to be back some time after 4 and I was checked again at 4:30. I was checked by the same nurse as before in order to have an accurate measurement. She gave me a 4+ (about 4 ½ just not a 5) I then had my awesome nurse, Jen who arrived at 5pm. We were excited to see her again. She saw us on Thursday, and she was my nurse the night I got my contractions stopped at 34 weeks. She totally understood my situation and knew how much I wanted to stay. She went to call my doctor and said she would push for letting me stay and walk for yet another hour. All this time my contractions were still steady and regular, but true labor is only if the contractions are changing your cervix. When walking was approved again, Kevin and I went outside the Labor and Delivery doors, talked to Stephanie, and saw Kaylee. Kaylee was sleeping on her lap. Kevin walked with me up and down the entire hospital 4th floor. It was really nice to have the hospital all to ourselves. It being a Saturday, all the offices and clinics were closed and we were free to walk up and down the hall. We probably we’re allowed to be out there but I was so tired of the small rounds we were making in Labor and Delievery. After a while we knew we had to head back, I said goodbye to Kaylee, not knowing how long it would be until I could see her again. We made more laps around Labor and Delivery and got back to my bed in Triage by 5:20 pm.
Jen checked me and I was still just over 4cm and not a 5. I was however 90% effaced instead of the 80% I had been at for weeks. Not as much change as we wanted but it still was some change. Jen left to call Jiricko. While Jen was gone, I felt the switch from Early to Active labor. I suddenly had one really strong, painful contraction. Kevin just looked at me as it continued to build. I told him to go tell Jen, as she was still waiting for the call from the doctor. Jen came back with really great news! Not only was Dr. Jiricko going to let me stay. Jen said that my doctor felt I would be dilated to a 5 soon and that once I made it to a five I could have my water broken! It was the best news ever! We were so relieved we wouldn't have to pay another $100 co pay and that this was it! We were finally going to leave this place with a baby!

6:00pm I was admitted and getting prepared to move to a room! Jen mentioned getting an IV and pitocin going. I asked her if I had to, she looked confused but said of course not. I reminded her I wanted to try for a natural birth and she said Jiricko must have forgotten, but it wasn’t in the conditions in order to stay. Instead she put in a Saline Lock, asked me if I was interested in trying the labor tub, and introduced me to my nurse, Amy. Jen made the comment that she wanted to see him once he arrived, after all she had touched his head more than anyone else. I chose to wait on filling the tub since I was not in pain.

7:00pm I was almost a 6. I tried out the rocking chair about the time my mom arrived. After spending a lot of time walking I wanted to rest and watch the TV. Kevin, my mom and me went for another walk after that. I wanted to wait on breaking my water, and since things were now moving, and I was admitted, I was able to wait. Jim, my father in law, came and helped Kevin give me a blessing. Kaylee left with Jim and Susan for the night. Jiricko wanted me to be checked in a couple hours. In the mean time we just had to go on laboring. I was only allowed to be off the monitors for 20-30 minutes. I would then get hooked up and be monitored for a few contractions to make sure the baby was doing well and then I was free to move about again.

9:00pm I was a stretchy 6 but not quite a 7. Amy tried to stretch it and irritate my cervix. We watched Disney movies, and hung out. I decided it was time to get my water broken and get things going. I was sure that this 2nd labor was going to go a lot faster than it was. I wanted to make sure I had my baby before 7am when my doctor would be off call and that Amy and Jen who came at 5pm and were leaving at 5am would still be here when he got here. Amy had the resident come up to break my water and we got the tub ready so I could get in it when things got worse. I was extremely worried about getting my water broken, I was afraid it would hurt. Even more I was scared of how much the contractions would probably hurt.
The resident arrived. She a hard time getting the membrane to break, a really hard time.
Luckily it wasn’t painful, but it did take a while. She couldn't get it hooked, and said it was a really thick membrane. Finally I felt a gush and just like when my water broke with Kaylee, they said it was a lot of fluid! I kept asking Kevin if it was a good color. The nurse, and resident reassured me it looked great. It only took a few contractions and they were hard and painful. I could barely talk, but got the words out that I wanted my mom to leave. Kevin told her it was time to go, and so she left to wait in the waiting room. I would have loved to have my mom there and have her support, but I knew she wasn't on board with me going natural. I knew I would be in pain and I didn't want anymore pressure or stress then what was inevitable. I got in the tub as soon as I could. Kevin got a couple movies, I wanted to watch Harry Potter for some reason, but they were unable to find it. We tried “Freaky Friday” but soon found out it was the old version. We ended up watching “The Little Princess,” probably not a good choice for labor let alone during pregnancy.

I tried to get my mind in the right mode for an undisturbed delivery. I ran my fingers through the water and let it pour over my stomach. I tried to focus on taking deep breaths and enjoy all the time in between contractions. With every contraction, I grasped these hand spots and took deep breaths. I thought these contractions were bad and I didn’t know how long I would be able to keep doing it. I thought over and over in my head “My body and my baby are working together.” I sipped on Sprite, which Amy told me I could have. I thought I could only have ice! It tasted so good! It was nice to have a little sugar and I was hoping it would help a little with the nausea. Kevin’s parents brought him Subway and it smelled amazing. We were both starving, not having any food since our yummy crepes at 10 am. Kevin reminded me that if I did get an epidural it would slow things down and I would have to wait even longer to eat. It gave me an extra incentive to keep going. I wanted my little box lunch that was waiting for me in Postpartum.

The natural birth rooms have cordless, waterproof monitors, but my nurse wasn’t sure how to get them to work. After having another nurse come take a look they determined that they needed to be charged. After getting in the tub, the last thing I wanted to do was get out. I was afraid that if I was having a hard time with contractions in the tub, they would be unbearable outside of it. Because I didn’t have the cordless monitors I had to continue to get hooked up every so often to check on the baby. After getting out, going to the bathroom and getting in bed I soon had a contraction. I had Kevin right there and he held me, rubbed my back, and loved me. I decided to stay out for a little while. Having Kevin there to hold me really helped me. I tried to relax and pretend I wasn’t in pain and that we were just holding each other. Being in the tub made me feel alone, it was hard for Kevin to help and be close to me. It also felt better for the time being to be sitting up.

After laboring for a while, I think as I was heading into transition, I decided to get back in the tub. It had been sitting for a while and so we drained some and got some hot water back in there. I found it was extremely comforting and relaxing on my back and legs to be sitting on the floor of the tub. I began to feel extremely nauseated and the contractions were really overwhelming. Kevin tried to rub my back, but that made things worse. I had him grab my pillow and I rested it on the door of the tub that way I could clench it, cry into it, or scream if it came to it. I sipped on the sprite and Kevin dabbed my head with cold wash cloths. I kept trying to remind myself what I had read in one of my books. “When you feel like things can't get worse, it means you are almost done” I was in tears at this point and I was fighting the battle of if I was going to give up and beg for an epidural. I knew I would have to fight Kevin for it, convince the nurse, and wait for the anesthesiologist to get up to my room, who might not even make it in time. I also had the thought cross my mind that I had been through hours of discomfort and it would be a complete waste to get the epidural now that I was almost done. If I were to relax and get rid of the pain I should have done it a long time ago so I didn’t have to suffer all this time. As I was crying with every contraction saying out loud that I didn’t think I could do this. Kevin and Amy reassured me that I could and that I was doing great. Amy asked me what I needed. She said she could coach me; she could rub and put pressure on my back, whatever I needed. We tried the massage and I was completely surprised at how much it worked. She was a life saver!

With the next few contractions, I got up from sitting in the tub, got on all fours and she would rub a spot on my back. It took the pain away completely! I just rested on the pillow and took deep breaths and moaned a little. Of course it was too good to be true. Only a few contractions later and it didn’t work anymore. She said he must have moved down even more. I then felt an urge to push, just like I had read about. I had no idea it would be so strong! I really needed to push. I had to get out of the tub right away!! Standing was uncomfortable. The nausea was so much worse, with each contraction I felt like I was going to throw up. Being sick made me want to give up even more, but I knew I was almost there. I knew it was almost time to push. I had heard that by the time you get to this point you want to push. I also had no idea what to expect and I feared how badly it would hurt. I went to the bathroom before I got onto the bed. Amy reminded me not to push when I had the urge, especially not on the toilet. I got onto the bed and Amy checked me. She said I was almost there but had a lip keeping me from getting to a ten. I tried positioning on the bed a few different ways, I tried to lean on my ball for one contraction but it didn’t work. I had to sit in bed and do the He He Who breathing. Focusing on what sounds to make made my mind wander a little and it helped.

Amy called the team in and Jiricko arrived. Jiricko walked in the door and they started setting out all the tools and supplies. Jiricko checked me and felt the lip, she said I would have to wait for a few more contractions. This was by far the worst, most painful part of the entire labor. With every contraction I had an urge to push and not being able to do what my body was trying and wanting to do was awful! I endured 3 contractions and was checked again. The lip had progressed a little. I then had to endure a few more contractions, be checked again, and found it had progressed more this time and I was almost there.

1:05am everyone was getting ready and in position. I was in a lot of pain and didn’t want my mom or sister there to see me like that. I decided I wanted pictures of the event more than that and told Kevin to hurry and get someone in here. He called my mom and had to hurry and hang up as another contraction was coming on. My sister showed up and we handed her the camera.
After a contraction or two later, I really, really had to push. I let them know this too! “I have to push, I have to push!" Without being checked, my doctor knew it was time.
At 1:21am I was told I could push with the next contraction. Amy said, “Okay you’re going to feel like you really need to push, its going to hurt and you’re not going to want to. But the harder you push, the sooner it will be over.” My doctor told me to push like I had a big poop to get out. I tried pushing, and was told to push harder, and keep going. Kevin was there to help hold my legs. They gave me a lot of encouragement and told me to keep going.

As I started to push again with the next contraction, my doctor began to stretch, in her mind what would help, my perineum. I screamed “Ouuuch!” And that was it. Now that I had opened my mouth I couldn’t stop screaming, and crying. I had my eyes closed, and all I could see were images of “Breaking Dawn’s” birth scene. Everything was blurry and I felt like I had just been sliced open, bleeding everywhere. Amy had to get my attention back to pushing, but I couldn’t focus enough to get strong solid pushes. Jiricko was then right in my face telling me to focus. Telling me I had to take a deep breath, and push or else it wouldn’t be over. It sounded kind of mean and I felt a little offended. I had never heard her talk to me like that before. But in all honesty she was completely right.

I got back into the groove and pushed as hard and as much as I could. I’m sure because of my fear and wanting to get it over with, I tore. Luckily I didn’t feel anything that felt like I did. I think I pushed a couple times and then I heard them quickly tell me to stop. His head was out, suddenly the burning was gone, they suctioned out his nose and mouth. She then told me to give a little push to get his shoulder out. I gave a little push, and felt nothing painful at all. I remember feeling a warm, wet sensation and I felt him slip right out. 1:28 am my baby boy was born.

He was immediately put on my stomach and I couldn’t do anything but smile, and say “I can’t believe I did It,” “I did it,” “I can’t believe I did it!” The rush of hormones and emotions were flowing through my body. It was a feeling I can’t really explain. We waited a minute, and they clamped the cord. I planned to wait until it stopped pulsing, which they were okay with, but I was told I could do skin to skin as soon as it was cut. Kevin cut the cord and I got to hold my baby. He was dried on my chest, checked and got his little hat put on. Skin to skin was not weird at all, like I had thought it would be. As I was holding him, Dr. Jiricko pushed on my uterus a few times and I felt the placenta slip right out and into a bag.

Kevin cutting the cord ->
I had a 1st degree tear and she asked me if I wanted a shot first. I did, I figured, the baby was born, I had experienced enough, and didn’t want to feel the hook. She stitched me up, as I watched the hook like tool and string. I tired to pay attention to the baby, but it was distracting. I didn’t feel anything but a small sting from the shot. Simple and easy!


Almost in tears.. "I can't believe I did it!"






The nurse took Landen and weighed him in at 6 pounds and 10 ounces. And he measured 19 ½ inches long.




I got my blood pressure checked and a warm blanket put on. I remember shaking and feeling cold. 
We were both so glad it was over and that everything went well!
He was then brought back to me and we did more skin to skin and I breastfed him for the first time. What a great, addition to our family!

Kevin holding his little guy for the first time!


My mom came in and we got to relax. Kevin was next to hold him then Jen came in to see our little guy before we headed over to postpartum. 
Jen and Amy took me and Kevin over to our room. My mom and sister were waiting for us when we got there.

They asked if I needed help getting out of my wheelchair and were completely surprised when I got up and got into my bed by myself. They said they weren’t use to people doing that. Obviously not a whole lot of people go natural. I met my new nurse and cna. They were both really nice and helpful.

First thing they asked me was if I was hungry. I didn’t have to think about that. Right away they brought me the sandwich box I had been craving all night. 


We found out that they don't use the transition nursery, and that the babies get their baths in their postpartum rooms.


We stayed in room 4118. I ate my food and the cna gave Landen his bath. It was really cool how they brought in this little warming station and she did it all right there in the room so I could be apart of it. He got swaddled and then my mom and Stephanie were able to hold him. The nurse helped me go to the bathroom, which of course I had no problem doing. I had read about legs being shaky, but my legs felt completely normal. It was awesome!

It was about 4:00am when my mom and sister left. I was in my immediate recovery period and had to be checked on every hour. Kevin got some sleep, but I still had so much adrenaline I didn’t sleep at all. Just like with Kaylee it was hard to sleep with a new baby right next to me. I had to make sure he was breathing. He was such a good baby though, only whimpering when he wanted food.


Landen getting his hair washed for the first time!


And his feet inked!








He is such a good baby! I fell in love with him immediately. A lot of people knew I wanted a girl. I was upset when we got the ultrasound, and I even secretly hoped our baby would surprise us with being a girl. I wanted a girl up until the moment I saw him. He was perfect, absolutely perfect! Now I consider myself lucky and blessed to have two beautiful, and healthy children. One of each! I can't believe I get to be their mommy! It is overwhelming how much your heart grows. I love them both in different ways, because I know them in different ways. But my love for them is strong and neverending. I am so grateful they are mine for eternity!

We are so lucky to have Baby Landen as a part of our eternal family. Heavenly Father truely blesses us with the opportunity to bring spirit children into this world. I love being a mommy, it is the greatest calling in the world. There is nothing more precious, and sacred then the moment you hold your baby, and take a look at what you took part in creating. Everyday I continue to be amazed!



I stayed awake for at least 36 hours. I had so much energy and excitement going through my body, it wasn't until the endorphins and adrenaline wore off that I realized I was tired. I know I got a few hours of sleep early Monday morning. Overall it was an amazing experience! Going natural definetely wasn't easy, but it wasn't neccassarily hard either. My contractions were uncomforable, but not exactly painful. Pushing was scarry, but now that I've done it I realize it wasn't bad at all. Now I know why women that go natural, continue to go natural. I don't see how you could do it any other way! 

4 comments:

Jen Chantry said...

I really had to try hard to not start bawling as I read your story! Landen is so precious and I am so proud of you and your strength astounds me! Someday maybe I'll be that brave:). Congratulations to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Britt I loved your story! I keep thinking I want to have this baby boy naturally, and your story just really touched me! You're awesome and he is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your birth story! You are such an awesome woman!! I am so happy you did it the way you planned. You are beautiful!

Lee and Kaylie said...

Just like everyone else, I loved reading your story! It was truly touching! A good motivator for anyone who is considering going natural. It just sounds so worth it! You're a super strong person! I can't wait to meet your little guy!